Monday, December 21, 2009

Narcissus




Narcissus oh Narcissus will you ever learn?
Staring at your reflection watching water churn
Echo is always waiting silent in trees
Thinking ‘talk to me please please please’
Slowly you waste away
For being vain you had to pay
All that time Echo wanted you to say ‘I love you too’
So she could Echo true
Narcissus when will you learn
It took one whole life burned
For you to know true
That someone loved you.


That’s a sad poem I wrote it was based on a story I read.
Narcissus was a very good looking mortal but he only loved himself. Girls everywhere told him that they loved him but Narcissus continued to only love himself. The gods got fed up with him and sent him to live in solitude, on an island. There was also this girl called Echo and she never stopped talking so the gods got fed up with that too and made her repeat peoples last words [echo get it?] Echo loved Narcissus but he told her she was no different than other girls ‘you just tell me I love I love you’ he said, Echo crying repeated ‘I love you I love you…..
When Narcissus got sent to the island she followed waiting in the trees but Narcissus only looked at himself. Eventually Narcissus died and Echo soon followed. Where Narcissus died the gods found a single narcissus flower [a daffodil]

No comments:

Post a Comment